Thursday, January 18, 2007

Interview and I-Days Process Questions

If you have questions about the interview process, please post them here.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I was wondering how long it took to hear back from your interviews

Brienna said...

There is a specific date identified for employers as the first date they can make offers. That is two weeks after Interview Days. You will receive offers in various ways depending on the employer but most will make a phone call. You are not required to accept or decline the position on the spot. You can ask the employer for time to respond if you see it as necessary.

John Bulcock said...

Breezy (Brienna) is right. We will explain the placement process in more detail during the I-Days program. In a nutshell, you will rank your top choices, and the departments will rank their top candidates. We will match based on those rankings. Providers are not able to make offers prior to March 20, and the deadline for accepting an offer will be April 15.

Anonymous said...

So the earlies you would know if you received an offer would be March 20th and later. Correct?

Brienna said...

Correct. March 20th is the first day to make offers. Most will make the call that day or VERY soon thereafter.

Brienna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Snapshot Sally said...

...and I don't know if anyone else had this experience, but I received my offer from my assistantship around that March 20th date, and told them I would get back to them.

They were totally cool with it, but were nice enough to check in once in a while and be like, "hey, do you need any more information?" and overall "how is everything?"

So if you find you need more information, the providers will be more than willing to help you out. They want to you know as much about your future assistantship as possible!

AshleyRansomTX said...

Remember that you have until April 15th to accept an offer for an assistantship, so the offers and interviews can still happen until this date. My current assistantship is with the Hixson Opportunity Awards program and I was not interviewed for this assistantship until April as the original offer went to another woman who decided to go to a different school.

Also, if you interview here and decide that you really want to come here and liked all the assistantships you interviewed for, you can rank all your choices as your first choice. This should increase the possibility that you have a match for an assistantship.

So moral of the story, if you really want to come here (which you should!) don't give up. And keep in contact with the IDays committee that you are still definitely interested in coming to ISU so if more assistantships open after IDays, which is a possibility if offers are declined, they know to submit your resume to the providers.

John Bulcock said...

The process is confusing anywhere you go, and we'll make sure everyone's clear on it while you're here. Having visited three schools, myself, I know that it was a bit different everywhere I went.

Jessica G said...

During interview days will there be a mechanism (little mailboxes) to deliver thank-yous at the Memoiral Union, or should we plan to mail those afterwards?

John Bulcock said...

Jessica,

There will be "mailboxes" available in the interview room for you and for the providers.

There will be a lot of info, including the full answer to this question, in a very long email that I have ready to send to all of you, along with your interview schedules, once I hear back from one provider.

Thanks!
jab