Thursday, January 18, 2007

Apartments/Housing/Roommates

If you have questions pertaining to what the housing options are like in Ames and at ISU, please post them here.

8 comments:

Brenna Ilya said...

Looking for an apartment in Ames? Try these links:

www.fpmofames.com
www.isucampustown.com
www.Furmanrealty.com
www.haverkamp-properties.com
www.hunziker.com
www.jensengroup.net
www.martinpropertymanagement.com
www.ppm-inc.com
www.wfapts.com
www.westtowne.net
www.iowastatedaily.com
www.amestrib.com
www.rentiowa.com
www.amesrent.com

Anonymous said...

Do most grad students live off- campus, on-campus or both? Any recommendations for on-campus?

John Bulcock said...

A vast majority of us are off campus. I will ask if there is anyone who can speak to living on campus.

I came here knowing no one. I posted on three websites looking for roommates, partially because I wanted to share the expenses and partially because I wanted at least 1 roommate. I found two of them, and we're sharing a three-bedroom apartment. The websites were: www.rent.com, www.rentiowa.com, and www.chegg.com.

Ames developers have significantly overbuilt. Apartment supply far exceeds the demand. Trying to negotiate your rent is not a bad idea.

Yen Dao said...

There are upper division residence halls within walking distance such as Buchanan Hall and Wallace Hall. There are upper division campus apartments such as Frederiksen Court, Schilleter and University Village. I think most graduate students in our program live off campus. Like Brenna and John mentioned, the opportunities to live off campus are plenty. Affordable housing in Ames is all around. If you are concerned with location, there are tons of housing right next to campus that typically costs a little more. However, Cyride (our bus system) is very good at circulating Ames so there is little concern for transportation. I hope this helps.

Molly Osmun said...

I live off campus in West Ames (very close to John) and I actually negotiated my rent from $700 to $680 per month. Unfortunately, my housing managment wouldn't go any lower but it was worth it.

There is a CyRide bus stop right out front of my building door and take the bus quite often. It saves money on gas and mileage.

I actually created profiles on roommates.com and roomster.net. I found my roommate through Roomster, we were both looking to rent a bedroom from someone else and decided to live together instead.

Brenna Ilya said...

To go off of Molly's remark - the longer you wait, the cheaper rent gets. Knowing that most students like to sign leases before summer or before August - apartment complexes are more willing to negotiate as August gets closer.

If you can stand it - DO NOT sign a lease until after August 1. Many companies will give you free August rent - a discounted security deposit - and overall cheaper rent.

The same company that wouldn't drop any lower in Molly during spring gave me my apartment for $625, with NO security deposit - I signed in late July, but wish I would have held out another two weeks - my apartment dropped to below 600 after August 1 (regular rent is 725!!)

The rule: NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE (and WAIT)!!!

Snapshot Sally said...

I live in West Ames, like Molly - but its really only about a 5 minute drive from my on-campus parking.

My apartment is $515/month and includes cable, internet, heat, water, and has a deck. I pay for the electricity, which is about $22 in the winter and $10 in the summer.

If you're a first time renter, figure out what you're going to use a lot of: the washer/dryer, electricity, cable, internet, heat...and try to find places with it included (i.e., I crank my apartment at 75, so heat had to be free!). Also, ask if there will be a lot of undergraduates in the building - when you're studying late a night, and there's a party next door...it can be a bit distracting!

John Bulcock said...

I was asked the following question via email, and I thought I'd post it here, as it is one that more folks may have:
Q: "I recently received information about housing and dining services offered at ISU, as well as a contract for those services. Does that get sent to every student or are Graduate students required to participate in at least a meal plan?"
A: Everyone will receive these. Nothing is required.